Search This Blog

Friday, June 10, 2011

Week Four

I had a meeting at the beginning of the week with Damien and Melanie to discuss the progress of the surveillance project. I got to know that Melanie will be my ‘go to person’. We also discussed the possibility of taking on additional projects. My motivation for requesting additional tasks is to get a rounded experience in municipal affairs or gain a decent insight and familiarity with specific municipal projects, as I am hopeful it will be adaptable and transferable to my future career at the international level. Moreover, I have had some downtimes the last couple of weeks; therefore, I was looking forward to have some additional projects to work on. I was encouraged by the positive tone at the meeting to try to get me working on a project that I might find interesting. Melanie informed me later in week that there is the possibility to work on the city’s procurement policy which is somewhat outdated and needed to be reviewed. I am up for the challenge and look forward to next week to see how I can proceed on the second project.

My week was filled with consultations on the surveillance policy with various departments. I consulted with some staff at Public works, Edgeworth, Bill Fowler Centre, the Golf Course Clubhouse, Jubilee Park, and Camrose Airport. The meeting at Public Works was very informative because it was a coordination of the people from IT and 3 guys from the Public works. For the first time, I was able to get an inventory of all the locations that had surveillance cameras. They include the following: Edgeworth (26), Aquatic Center (5), Bill Fowler Centre (4), Golf ClubHouse (4), Jubilee Park (2), 46 St Shop (3), HLPS #3 (1), HLPS #2 (1), SLS (1), Lakeside (1), Public Works (1), City Hall (2 but not operational), Fire Station (Not sure of the number, I need to verify that number when I visit next week), Camrose Airport (2), Water Treatment Plant (1). Furthermore, I got to know some locations that might have cameras installed in the near future.

I was informed about the rational for having the cameras on various locations. The underlying reason for having these cameras was for deterrence and security purposes; however, I also got to know that some surveillance were not just for deterrence and security purposes. Some reasons include collecting data for managing traffic flow on highway 48, and data for managing water levels and monitoring the lake itself. The Lakeside camera was set up for this purpose. As well, the records from some cameras are used for verification purposes. For instance, the records from the airport cameras are used to verify information that maybe filled out by pilots who land the airport, as well as provide footage for inspection claims.

I visited the locations listed above that these cameras were. I was able to see for myself how the cameras were positioned at the various buildings including the following: were these cameras set up inside or outside the facilities; I was able to examine the camera monitors to ascertain if the cameras were capturing the image within the location they were set up for, or were these cameras just recording images out of its location; were there signage beside the cameras; were the cameras in good working condition; were the monitors and controls in a secure room; which staff had access to the camera records; and how the records were stored. After my tour of these locations I got a picture of where things were as it pertained to the access, storage, retention, disclosure, and destruction of the records from the surveillance, as well as the whole set up of the surveillance on the city’s facilities. The staffs that I talked to during my consultation and tour of the facilities were very helpful and cooperative. I didn’t find anyone trying to withhold information. That was reassuring, to say the least. A sentiment that all of them expressed was that, they need a protocol for the surveillance because it’s long overdue. I must say it was encouraging to hear that.

I hope to complete my staff consultation by next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment